I’ve been thinking about this for a while, but as it’s a little lengthy to put in my probably already lengthy posts about any given pair of jeans, I thought I’d let it be it’s own little thing. When you’re making jeans, there’s a lot in play. You have lots of different feet you need for different purposes plus at least 2 different kinds of thread and possibly 2 different kinds of needles if you use a denim double needle.
Here’s what I use:
- all-purpose foot–for non-topstitched seams
- applique foot–for topstitching the fly and for bartacking. I prefer it over the ap foot because it is clear, so you can really see where you’re going
- ditch quilting foot or blind hem foot–both of these feet have a guide that follows along a seam and allows you to stitch right at the edge of a seam (one sews closer than the other, but they do the same thing). Either foot lets you do the first pass of topstitching on a seam
- 1/4″ foot–this foot also has a guide like the ditch quilting or blind hem foot, but it stitches a little farther from the edge of the seam where the guide is riding. This helps you make your second pass for topstitching seams.
- zipper foot–for installing your fly
- buttonholer–to make a buttonhole for your tack button
- topstitching thread–heavier than regular thread and probably a constrasting color
- normal thread–for seams
After this pair, I’ve figured out how to simply keep things organized so it’s readily accessible. I don’t doubt that this pair was my fastest constructed jeans to date partly because of this.
My solution to keep everything in one spot so that it’s ready to go when I need it is to take all of the feet needed out of the foot box and store everything on the lid to my foot box. It’s simple, and I was surprised how much time it saved me.
How do you keep yourself organized for big projects?
P.S.: You can vote for my shibori zippered jeans here.
And lastly, some quick MMM shots.
Day 17: Vogue 1027 in mocha jersey. I’ve lost a lot of weight since I first made this, but I still love how instantly polished I feel in it, despite it being a color that I wouldn’t normally choose on any planet. It goes with every accessory I own and it has such a pretty silhouette. I could even run after the kids at the park in it without worrying about a floor show.