So I’ve finally finished my June projects (minus the dress which just wasn’t right for me). Though It’s July now, I’ll give myself a break because I didn’t start my plan until June 7th. All along my real deadline has been today because we’re going to be out of town with family this weekend.
I nixed the pencil skirt I had planned because just looking at my stretch cotton induced sweating. Last week it occurred to me that a simple gored skirt in a lightweight fabric would be a nice alternative. I was irritated that I had nothing in my stash, but I “suffered” and drove down to Denver Fabrics and found this totally amazing tencel/cotton. It was in the shirtings, but it has more than enough weight and drape to be perfect for a sweat-reducing skirt. It’s wrinkle resistant, but the fabric breathes. To boot–it looks like denim. Methinks it’s the best of all possible worlds.
8 gored skirt
What I learned:
I need to draft more: I followed the gored skirt tutorial from Weekend Designer for this skirt. It’s just too simple, and fits absurdly well. Why do I bother with patterns when I can draft a skirt that fits so much better? The waist is high on this one–partly because I wanted a skirt that for once actually fit my real waist, (it does!) but also because I’m using this skirt as the bottom of a dress I’m modifying. As a skirt, I can’t say I’m crazy about the high-waisted feel, but it’ll be perfect for the dress.
Take that invisible zipper!: I won’t say I’m terrified of zipper installation anymore. I’ve avoided them for a long time mostly because I haven’t needed them. My last invisible zipper was woeful though. And the one before that. But they were in the side seams of dresses which I think are tricky anyhow, and ultimately I’ll never do because my sides are way too curvy to make the zippers lie flat. I’m a CB zipper kind of gal, which is kind of liberating to realize. But back to THIS invisible zip. I used this tutorial and it worked out smashingly. I’m so thrilled to have an actually invisible invisible zipper with no lumpy parts in it.
Making things hang well: I’m a hem nut if you haven’t noticed, and it seems like I’m always trying something new with hems. On the linen skirt, I interfaced the entire hem, which was fine, but perhaps a bit too much. I ran a strip of fusible half the width of the hem right next to my thread basting line that I use to mark the fold lines on my hems. It’s less poofy than the fully interfaced hem, but still adds enough extra to help this lighter weight fabric hang better at the hem. I also ran a line of seam binding along the top raw edge of the skirt to help stabilize the waistline. Twill tape would have been too bulky for this fabric. The binding kept things nice and contained while sewing in the facing, and the facing actually sits better for it being there.
Noah had to get in on the photo taking action: