In the middle of our Spring Break in which all of us were in various stages of hacking colds, my husband and I were able to get away for a night to go to LA and see Lucia di Lamermoor at the opera. Despite having to cough periodically and generally feeling badly, it was a special treat to be away from the kids and have some time to just enjoy each other’s company. There was a pre-opera lecture that conductor James Conlon gave which happily launched me to Music History Nerdyland. We did discover that Bel Canto is not for my husband–the music is not interesting at all to him, so he endures opera only if there is sufficient plot to make it okay. Wagner–yes…Donizetti, not so much.
I was able to go to Michael Levine and found some really nice nylon tricot and mesh fabric for lining knits. I got a few random notions and some jewelry at the FIDM Scholarship Store. The next day I had a wonderful time at Mood and found some really pretty fabrics that I’m really excited about. For now they are in the stash and I will figure out what to do with them later.
Even though I felt awful during the night of the opera, it was nice to have something nice to wear in the way of Burdastyle 9-2010-122.
I’ve went back and forth on this dress. I loved the seams, but I couldn’t get over the flaps, and I wasn’t sure that I’d be okay with where the seams in the bust area landed. To make sure, I made a muslin so I could adjust things.
I ended up having to shorten the waist section and lengthen the section over the bust. This way, the waist seam landed at my waist, not below it and the over bust section landed at a more flattering spot on me.
The whole dress was far too long–about 3″ had to go to get it to my knees.
I had bought this blush ponte in Chicago, thinking that I would make pants. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that ponte pants aren’t my style (unless I’m pregnant in which case, bring on the stretchy pants). I’m glad I remembered this dress. Armed with the knowledge of other reviewers having successfully ditched the sleeve flappy things, I forged ahead.
I underlined the front 2 sections and the back yoke with powernet in lieu of the facings. All I can say is, no wonder powernet gets used for bras. It is lovely lovely stuff. Stable, and strong, it adds structure without any bulk. This was a much nicer way to finish the neckline and armscye than facings.
I had enough leftover fabric to make a pair of long gloves which I did via My Starbrink’s pattern on Burdastyle. Turns out that gloves are remarkably simple to make if a little fiddly as you’re sewing on the gussets.
It was pretty gratifying to make a more formal sort of dress in a couple of hours. Some day I’ll learn to tango more often with woven fabrics, but knits are how I live now, and I’m okay with that.
My full review is here.