Sew Mama Sew is doing a thread stash meme, so I’ll throw my hat in the ring.
* How did you select colors for your personal thread collection? Color is so inspirational to me. If I see a color that I love, I get it. My collection is heavy in blues and teals and reds, as I wear mostly teals and blues and accent in reds, but I have a little bit of every color.
* Do you always match the color perfectly to your project? 98% of the time I do. I’m anal detail-oriented like that.
* Do you ever use contrasting thread? I do when I’m marking hems or basting things so that I can find those threads later to take them out. I don’t usually topstitch in contrasting colors because it’s so obvious if you mess up, but once in a while I like the detail.
* Do you use the same color in the bobbin as the upper thread? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
* What if a fabric has big areas of very different colors? I try to pick the color out of however many that blends in the most.
* Do you have any tips or suggestions about choosing thread? People respond differently to color, so I think you have to find what works for you. I don’t want to hate on Coats and Clark, but my machine is way more excited about Mettler Metrosene and Gutermann. I think their spools just work better on my machine. Mettler’s silk finish cotton thread is so awesome for topstitching–it feels great!
* Can you show us a picture(s) of your thread collection? The above picture is of my colored threads. My husband made these little paper boxes and all of them fit into a big tackle box where all the thread is stored to keep it out of the air so it lasts longer and is easily accessible to me. I have a box of neutral colored thread as well, but neutrals are about as inspirational to me as dirt, so I don’t keep them as nicely organized.
* Do you ever buy thread because you fall in love with the color (without a particular project in mind)? Of course. I’m a color junkie. Give me a set of anything ordered by color, and I’m there!
* Do you “invest” in thread? Yes. How can you pass up 50% off sales, especially on serger thread?
* What types of thread do you have? (elastic, quilting, all-purpose, wool, etc.) serger, mostly all-purpose, some silk thread for hand sewing and basting delicate fabrics, some fine thread, cotton for sewing lining fabrics, and a whole lot of vintage thread I pick up in thrift stores to use as hand basting thread and because the spools are so awesome (my son loves to play with them). I have a of white hand quilting thread around all the time because I’m a yoyo addict.