I’m working on fitting this Jalie Scarf-Collar top. I’ve been reading about this pattern on Patternreview, and I’ve been rather impressed by how tremendously flattering it looks on everyone and how much people seem to be excited about it.
So I went over the edge and paid the piper for this pattern for the sake of trying something new. I don’t like paying more than a couple of bucks for a pattern unless it’s for a special occasion, but I like this style so much that I know I will make it multiple times. Once I figured out the sizing of these patterns, I cut out and assembled all the way through (it took me a couple of times to figure out the collar bit–which by the way is extraordinarily clever) so I could get a sense of everything. Things look really good, but c’est la vie, I need to add a dart at the side. Shoot! I really thought that adding a little bit at the side seams would do the trick. Nope. No dice. Go back to start. It’s not uncomfortable, but there’s enough bunchy bunchy at the sides that it looks bad, which makes me feel almost as uncomfortable as if things were tight.
But then I started thinking about it and really, I will wear this style less casually, so I’m not to weirded out by having a bust dart on a knit. Actually, as a matter of fact, I’m kind of thinking of messing around with this dart a bit and rotating it to make something different. We’ll see how things work out.