Finally, this outfit is for the little boy in the Burmese family who is 4 1/2. I’ve had this khaki fabric in my stash a long time. I had it to make a skirt for myself, but what with not teaching, I don’t really need it and realistically it’s not the most flattering color for my backside. It’s super high quality and denim weight–one of the few serendipitous JoAnn apparel fabric purchases. I knew it would make excellent pants, but I also knew that it’d be too heavy for inseam pockets, so I used this fabric:
Tada! I think all pockets should be made out of outrageous fabric just for kicks. Sure, your hands are the only ones who get to enjoy that little surprise, but I think they know. Making functional inseam pockets was my goal for these pants and they turned out really quite well. The pants also have some jiffy side pockets too. Just the thing for little boys wanting to cart around things to gross their sisters out with (like the frog put on me while sleeping one time).
The shirt I constructed entirely with the serger…so easy!!! I did try to hem it with the rolled hem which really wasn’t a good idea. It did okay on the bottom, but it made lettuce edges on the sleeves (mainly because I used a rib knit for the sleeves because JoAnn, typical to form did not have a single color of knit fabric that matched a solid knit and I didn’t want 3 colors on the shirt)…not so cute for a boy. So I folded that mess under and hemmed them as best as I could, but they’re not super. I still feel like my serging is getting better…I just need to use it when appropriate, not just when I want to save time.